Seeing a Better World™

Little Known Facts about Satellites

By DigitalGlobe | Published:

Unless you are preparing for an appearance on Jeopardy, you might not know some of the following interesting facts about satellites and satellite imagery.

Fun Facts about Satellites:

• Satellites travel at 18,000 miles per hour. That means in a given day, satellites can travel the entire circumference of the Earth about 14 times.
  • A satellite gets better fuel economy than a Prius.
  • If you put all of the data that our satellites collect in a year on DVDs, it would form a stack nearly 4 times the height of the Empire State Building.
  • There are over 2,500 satellites in orbit around the Earth.
  • DigitalGlobe has three satellites around the world at any given moment, ready to take instant pictures of world events.
  • In addition to being used for defense and intelligence, satellite imagery has many innovative uses in the environmental, economic, entertainment and humanitarian sectors.

Do you know any little-known facts about satellites? Share them in the comments!

37 Responses to Little Known Facts about Satellites

Kodi says: December 17, 2014 at 5:32 pm

This site actually didn’t help me at all. there are very few facts and I just need some information…thanks

como ganhar dinheiro says: November 7, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the layout of your website?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better.
Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

Lari says: August 28, 2014 at 11:35 pm

I’m fascinated by astronomy and everything related to space loved to know what satellites can do, hopefully more news

robert blatchley says: June 15, 2012 at 7:22 am

While watching a satellite go over our location in Colorado at 9:14 on June 15th there was a flash from the satellite which apeared similar to a flash from a camera. Any idea what it could have been?

tony says: September 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm

tese facts are amazing its hard to imagine how hard it must be to find these facts out but infact it can be reconably easy. doese enyone have any tips for gcse’s?

reza mohammady says: May 23, 2011 at 9:42 am

Greetings to serve all my dear friends recently have registered with the site due to the Ahtyajaty for his scientific work and research I updated aerial map of the city of Shahin stronghold in the West Azerbaijan province of Iran I hope I can make I used to help separate maps for further air is better with respect Reza Mohammadi

Rhyno Wu says: May 19, 2011 at 8:10 am

in the .Fun Facts about Satellites, the first one:
“…satellites can travel the entire circumference of the Earth about 1.4 times.”
1.4 times should be 14 times.