Unless you are preparing for an appearance on Jeopardy, you might not know some of the following interesting facts about satellites and satellite imagery.
Fun Facts about Satellites:
- Satellites travel at 18,000 miles per hour. That means in a given day, satellites can travel the entire circumference of the Earth about 14 times.
- A satellite gets better fuel economy than a Prius.
- If you put all of the data that our satellites collect in a year on DVDs, it would form a stack nearly 4 times the height of the Empire State Building.
- There are over 2,500 satellites in orbit around the Earth.
- DigitalGlobe has three satellites around the world at any given moment, ready to take instant pictures of world events.
- In addition to being used for defense and intelligence, satellite imagery has many innovative uses in the environmental, economic, entertainment and humanitarian sectors.
Do you know any little-known facts about satellites? Share them in the comments!